Tuesday, July 28, 2015

伊呂波 Iroha Japanese BBQ review


Iroha Japanese BBQ
Before visiting this place, I did not know that Japanese BBQ existed... well... at least, not in the form of Korean BBQ style. I was intrigued. I really liked the atmosphere of this place. We had to take off our shoes and walk towards the middle of the restaurant where the seats were. The restaurant felt clean, and unlike most indoor bbq places, this place did not have unpleasant bbq odors.


Price: 500 (+ 10% service charge = $550HKD)

the mini set we got
After several minutes of decisions, my friend and I settled for this mini set. It seemed to have everything we wanted to try and the price was reasonable. As shown both in text and the picture, there is quite a lot of food.
Kimchi and Bean Sprouts
I couldn't understand why a Japanese place would give us Kimchi and Bean Sprouts. It did make me question whether this was an Authentic Japanese restaurant or if it were simply just a Korean/Chinese knockoff. But that aside, the Kimchi and Bean Sprouts were delicious.

Caesar Salad
Next up was Caesar Salad, I'm not sure what's the reason or logic behind it, but it seems that most Authentic Japanese places serve Caesar Salad now. I'm not complaining :). The veggies were fresh and the croutons were well made (they were fresh yet lightly toasted). I liked the size of the croutons, they were thin and flat (making it easy to bite into) yet the surface area was big, making it seem like we weren't eating crumbs.


meat platter for us to cook
And finally, the meat platter comes. This might not look like a lot, but by the end of it, we were so full and we struggled to finish it. My friend and I both liked the Beef Tongues the most.

yummy... waiting for food to be done!
our stove! You can see it is slightly different from the Korean BBQ stoves. I did find it hard to tell when our food was ready, we kept testing the food out to make sure it was cooked properly.


Korean Beef and Tofu Soup
Our meal came with a Korean Beef and Tofu soup. Whenever I eat bbq I tend to get very thirsty, this soup was surprisingly great to quench my thirst. It tasted quite plain though.

Tempura
I can't tell whether it was because we left them out too long or these tempura pieces were not well made... nonetheless, I felt that these were extremely oily and not crispy at all. My friend and I decided to put them on the bbq stove and let them warm up and remove excess oil. The batter was terribly made. We were quite disappointed.

Hokkaido milk pudding for dessert

I really loved this dessert, and it was a surprise to both my friend and I. This Hokkaido milk pudding was extremely tasty and smooth. We were both so excited when we took our first bite! Highly recommend it! I'm not sure if you can order it or whether this was exclusively for this Set dinner we ordered.

Score: 8.5/10
Website: http://www.iroha.com.hk/

Address: 1/F Cameron Plaza, 23 Cameron Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Phone Number: +852 2311 4700

2 comments:

  1. Japanese has bbq!?!? Maybe it is Korean BBQ in disguise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apparently Japanese does have their own BBQ! It tastes quite different from the Korean one...

      Delete

LinkWithin