Thursday, March 27, 2014

Differences Between Base Coat and Top Coat (Nail Polish)

photo credit: www.kaydeecosmetics.co.uk

I was talking with a friend who has just developed an interest in nail polish. However, she was concerned about the differences between Base Coats and Top Coats. I explained to her the differences and think it is a good idea to share it here, if there is anyone who might want to know.


First, you cannot use them interchangeably. They are different, they may appear to be clear but , base and top coats can come in different colours and different transparency levels too, some can even be matte.
photo source: www.drugstore.com

Base Coat:
  • makes your nails feel rough and dull
  • makes it easier to apply nail polish and design 
  • optional, but if you really want your nail polish to last longer then you should use this
base coats are more watery, very easy to smooth out. They are less smelly.

Base Coats create a protection between your nails and the nail polish.

It is meant to be used as a "base" (thus the name) you need to apply nail polish over this base coat, as a foundation.

photo source: amazon.com

Top Coat:
  • makes your nails feel shiny
  • creates a finish
  • must be used as a last step...
top coats dry faster than nail polishes and bases. They are hard and seals everything together. Some top coats have sparkles in them. (You cannot use them as a sparkle nail polish, if you want a sparkly nail polish, get a nail polish...)

elaborations:

My friend said she just used base coat on her nails and that made her cuticles all dry. That's because it is not meant to be used alone, but with other nail polishes on top.

If you just use top coat on your nails, they will peel off within 1 hour simply because there is nothing to hold it down.

If you want clear shiny looking nails, I suggest you either get a nail buffer or a "clear" nail polish. (yes, clear nail polishes are different from base/top coats... again. they SHOULD NOT BE USED AS BASE COAT OR TOP COAT.)

Happy Nail polishing!

12 comments:

  1. I never knew there was a difference! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, most people don't so no worries! :) feel free to share this info to others :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't know there's base and top coats for nail polish! Thanks for the information on them. Though I'm not much of a nail person as I hardly ever paint my nails cuz I have such tom-boyish looking nails that are not girly at all. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your nails! I just think you haven't found the right swatch/type for your nails :)

      Delete
  3. So I just got the Sinful Colors "clear coat" thinking it was a top coat, bc I use their Quick Dry as a base coat or in btw colors. I get the sense I am doing this all wrong. Is their "base coat" supposed to be watery? and why is the quick dry coat so thin? plz help! I want to believe I have good polish but maybe just sucky technique. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keri, Thanks for dropping by,

      Base Coats are watery, they do not need to be thick as they act as a "foundation" protecting your nail from the polish

      Which Quick Dry Coat are you using?

      Delete
  4. OMG SO I DID USE A CLEAR COAT JUST CHECKED THE BOTTLE. THATS WHAT HAPPENS IN A HURRY UUUGUHGHGHGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found out! :) when you say "Clear Coat" are you referring to Nail Polish?

      Delete
  5. ok 1 last thing. sorry. any reccomendations for good base and top coat combo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm... I would love to recommend some to you, but I will need to know what type of nails you have and the condition of your nails (e.g. are they peeling, dry, etc).

      Delete
  6. I really appreciate how the listings are done about the Best Clear Nail Polish in 2022. I really loved the way they are mentioned in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin