Tuesday, October 27, 2015

豐記 雞蛋仔 review


豐記 雞蛋仔 review
Fung Gei's Chinese Egg Waffle

Lately, it seems that every where I look, every street I walk down, there is a Chinese Egg waffle place (雞蛋仔). I have seen all kinds, from Cheese-filled Egg Waffles to Chocolate Fills. However, my favourite has to be the original. Call me weird, but I prefer the original because I like the sweetness of the batter. I haven't tried many flavours... but I think that if a place cannot get the "original flavour" right... forget about trying the fancier ones.

豐記 雞蛋仔 review
menu item

While walking down Granville Road, I came across this place. During that first encounter, I decided to not try it because this place was crowded. It was around 5:00pm of a public holiday, there were dozens of people of all ages trying to get some form of snack from this "shop". I told myself that I will come to this place when it is WAY less crowded.

Across the street is Granville Circuit

The next day I visited this place, it was empty. I was the only customer there (strange how things change so suddenly, huh?). This time, I got a closer view of the place, I learned that quite a number of celebrities and food show hosts have been to this place.


bag of Chinese Egg Waffles

As usual, I got my Original Chinese Egg Waffles for $15 HKD. 

how the Chinese Egg Waffles look

Impressions:
  • these were not made "recently" 
  • batter was not made (lacking lots of ingredients)
  • empty on the inside and not chewy nor crispy on the outside


I was disappointed that these Chinese Egg Waffles were cold when they gave it to me. Having a shop should indicate freshness. Unfortunately, this was not the case for this. However, my disappointment did not stop there. The taste was terrible, it was so bland. 

All I can conclude is... No wonder it was so empty when I went! I guess you can trick your customers the first time but not the second time. It was no wonder I was the only customer there the next day. I do not recommend this place... there are much more better Chinese Egg Waffle places in Tsim Sha Tsui, just walk down the street a little and you will find other ones that will be much better than this place! Total disappointment!

Score: 1/10
Website: no website

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin