Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Eight Noodles restaurant review

I have noticed more and more Lanzhou Ramen places in Toronto, but I am sure this is one of the first restaurants to have appeared (I think this place has been opened for more than 3 years). I'm actually not sure if it is called "Eight Noodles"(this was the name I found online... the Chinese name for this place is 麵對麵). They didn't have a sign over their store... just a sign indicating that they are a Lanzhou Ramen place.

This ramen restaurant is located in the plaza right at the Warden & Sheppard Avenue Intersection (south of Sheppard). There is a yellow banner over the store (it is 2-3 stores beside McDonald's).

Atmosphere:
I thought the atmosphere was very casual... and quiet.... just like a very simple nice and comfy noodle place.... it was nicely decorate and clean...

Food:

Cold Dish Garlic Pork Appetizer
I got a cold dish to share... we decided on this because we wanted some meat but didn't want a full dish....

impressions:
  • very garlic-y (as expected)
  • a little spicy (hot)
  • nicely marinated

The garlic was strong and what I found quite unique (I haven't seen these in other restaurants) was that they had put lots of sugar with the garlic to enhance the flavour. And I think they did a great job


Beef Lanzhou Ramen
impressions:
  • light soup base
  • hint of herbs
  • portion is actually really big
  • decent

I thought the soup could be slightly stronger... since the noodles/ramen had no flavour to it. The noodles were different sizes (some were thick and others were thin). I am not sure whether this is an indication that these noodles/ramen were "hand pulled" but it tasted quite good. At first, we thought the portion looked small (the bowl looks quite small) but towards the end, we were both full!

Service:
Service was ... ok... it's actually hard to define the service... 1. It was extremely hard to get any waiter's attention but 2. They were very careful, when we were a party of 2 getting just one noodle, the waitress gave us an extra bowl... so they were not attentive, but tried to take care of your needs...

score: 7/10
website: no website

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin