Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Question: Do I need Toner?

Question: Do I need Toner? Simple Moment Blog
photo source: thebodyshop.ca

To answer the question, YES! But you really need the right product.

We have all heard it, cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer and gel... all the other steps seem to make sense like cleansers... clean; serums provide your skin with extra nutrients and moisturizers help maintain moisture and hydrate your skin; gels protect your skin from environmental factors that can harm your skin. But what exactly does toner do for your skin? We hear about it "toning" our skin, cleansing our skin and shrink the appearance of pores.


Question: Do I need Toner? Simple Moment Blog

I have been confused with toners... in fact, I recall the first time I bought some toner, when I put it on my face, I started getting weird red bumps and discovered (after using the toner for 3-4 days) that the condition of my skin had gotten a lot worse... my skin started getting really sensitive, red, itchy, etc. It just wasn't doing my skin any good.

I stopped using toner for a few years after that horrible experience. Lately, I started to use toners again. After doing research, I discovered that the "type" of toner you use is very crucial as to what type of toner you use.

*Please keep in mind that Japanese products refer to "Toners" as Lotion


Question: Do I need Toner? Simple Moment Blog
photo credits: Sasa.com


Importance of Toner:

The Number 1 thing that toners should be doing is to help balance your skin. This is really important (more important than it sounds) when we wash our face, the pH balance will shift, this can cause our face to break out or be too dry.

and depending on WHICH toner you get, there will be a different combination of benefits:

  • moisturize
  • prepare your skin to absorb serums
  • clean off make up
Question: Do I need Toner? Simple Moment Blog
example of acidic base emulsion set: photo credits: TheFaceShop


Another type of Toner:

Keep in mind that there are some Toner and Moisturizer/serum packs which let's the toner shift your pH to be more acidic so that you can absorb the more alkalized moisturizer/serum easily because you skin is acidic it will absorb to alkaline product easier. (acidic and alkaline are opposites)

If you choose these, make sure you buy them both or your skin's pH levels will not be balanced properly.

Ways to apply toner:
depending of the types of toner there are different ways you can apply it on your face.
1. drenching a piece of cotton and apply it all over face till there is none left
2. spray it on your face- these are very convenient
3. drenching a clean piece of facial paper mask with toner and put on your face for a few minutes
4. Just put a few drops on the palms of your hands and pat on your face till all has been absorbs


6 comments:

  1. I have/am currently using that hadalabo toner in the picture you posted under the SK-II one. It's quite good, I like it. =) But I think I want to go back to using the SK-II essence toner again because it was the best one that I have ever used! (If only it's not so expensive T_T) I'm planning to buy like two bottles when I'm in Japan! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using it too... but their 3D version :P SK-II products are so expensive... T___T

      Delete
  2. I have the 3D version too but I don't like it...so I bought the original version again. Never buying the 3D again, it's too sticky for my liking. SK-II is really expensive but the huge bottle goes a long way. I think I used mine for like 9-10 months, almost year before I finished the entire bottle. My friend got it for me from the duty free shop at the airport for about $110 or something. I only buy the toner from SK-II though....never used any of their other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is sticky... but I like how there are so many other added ingredients like Collagen and Retinal in it :)

      Delete
  3. I guess it's good to have just one expensive skincare product but not everything. I only buy expensive things for like serums and toners where I think I need extra care in as I age and get old, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, having ne expensive skincare product is good enough, get it for your "Biggest" need :)

      Delete

LinkWithin