Monday, August 26, 2013

Avenue Diner on Davenport Diner review

Avenue Diner Menu

The reviews for Avenue Diner are at 2 extremes: either you really like this place, or you hate it to bits, I was confused as to why there was such extremities. 

John from Urban Spoon says: "Biggest dump ever!!! Most overpriced breakfast I've ever seen.. And the food isn't even good!... Tiny tiny portions, miserable workers.. All they care about is money, stay far away from this dive."

while Jojo2772 from Urban Spoon says  "I love this place!! Great atmosphere, location (steps from Yorkville) and the best breakfast in town. The staff are super friendly and service is very quick. On any given day, you don't know which major celebrity could be dining at this fine establishment."

I had to give this place a try and see why there were such different reviews for this diner. My first visit was after lunch time (1:30PM), the place is quite small and was almost half full... a lot of people were coming in to order burger and fries. 

The Diner opened in 1944, you can tell by their interior. On one of the walls, it will filled with photographs, those were photographs of celebrities, rock stars, hockey players, etc  (taken with the owner) at the diner. The servers were not friendly nor rude, they were just there to take your orders and serve food.

Avenue Banquet burger

I scanned the menu, there isn't a lot of you can choose from, they range from All Day Breakfast, to fries to burgers. I usually like getting foods that are "special" and "unique" so the Avenue Banquet burger caught my eye, I asked the owner what it was and he explained that it was a Bacon Cheddar Burger. That sounded like something I wanted, so I ordered it.

I was surprised at how large the piece of  "burger" was. Overall speaking, I think this is a "fair" burger, I liked how it is quite filling, and the taste is ok. The pickles were not sour (I like that it is not sour like some pickles that causes you to "winch" when you eat them); I was a little disappointed with the overall taste... since it was a "Bacon and Cheddar" burger, I expected the bacon and cheddar to be more tasteful and be more present. Unfortunately, I found it quite difficult to "taste" them. The bacon was too thin and the cheese was too "tiny", so they were not able to make their presence known. Also, be warned, eating this burger can be quite messy.

I think I would give this burger a 2.8/5 since I could hardly taste the ingredients (in the name). I really liked how filling it was, I really appreciated that. I think the price was sort of reasonable ($7.86/tax included) for a burger in Yorkville.

Keep in mind, if you want to visit this place, they are only opened till 4:00PM every day and during the months of July and August they do not open on Mondays & Tuesdays.

I am surprised they don't have a website, so no website this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin