Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Comparison: Starbucks PSL vs. McDonalds PSL

Starbuck's
Yeah for the season of Pumpkin Spice Latte! This is probably one of the few things I look forward to for Autumn/Fall every year (I dread the cold).

Traditionally, I drank Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte to mark the end of summer, and this year, I learned that McDonald's is offering their version of Pumpkin Spice Latte too! (I'm not sure whether they had offered it before... though).

 To make this comparison fair, I ordered them both as they are (no added sugar, no enhancements)

Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte

Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte

There is no doubt that Starbuck's is a Fall/Autumn staple, so here are some impressions I have drawn up in regards to comparison:

  • has a strong bitter coffee aftertaste 
  • slightly stronger nutmeg
  • slightly thicker
  • orange looking drink

I'm surprised these were probably the only differences my mouth felt and tastebuds felt.


McDonald's Pumpkin Spice Latte

McDonald's

Honestly... when I first had my first couple of sips, my brain was confused... they are both very similar in taste with a few exceptions. 

Pumpkin Spice Latte with whipped cream

notable differences:

  • slightly sweeter
  • no bitter aftertaste
  • a bit runnier than Starbuck's
  • looks like their other lattes

McDonald's PSL whipped cream mixed

I am quite impressed with McDonald's PSL, despite using more artificial ingredients, it tastes very similar to Starbucks... if you are looking for a substitute for Starbucks, then McDonald's would be a fair choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin