Thursday, January 29, 2015

Crispy Seaweed Tao Kae Noi review


Crispy Seaweed Jao Kae Noi review
sorry for the blurriness of this photo

When I first saw the name, I thought it was Jao Kae Noi (excuse my Thai >.<) after doing research, I realized it was actually called Tai Kae Noi... Typography issues.... so if anyone happens to make the same mistake as me (I hope I'm not the only one) know that it is TAO and not JAO.

Back to the review, I have always loved seaweed snacks... I also love the lingering aftertaste... so when my friends introduced these Thai seaweed snacks to me... I was very excited.

Crispy Seaweed Jao Kae Noi review
lots of info

Ingredients List:
Seaweed, Palm Oil, Salt, Pepper, Disodium guanyiate*, Disodium inosinate**

*salt
**salt food additive, also found in Instant Noodles, Chips and snacks

The ingredients look quite safe.

Nutrition Facts:
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 40
Calories 70
% Daily Value*
7%
Total Fat 4.5g
5%
Saturated Fat 1g
4%
Sodium 100mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates 3g
Protein 4g

All other values were 0%
source: https://www.nutritionix.com/tao-kae-noi/original-flavor-crispy-seaweed


Taste & Observations:
Having had seaweed snacks ever since I was a toddler, my automatic response to this seaweed was the obvious dryness to it. There is absolutely no grease or sugar layer... it was all seaweed. This is both good and bad... good: healthy! bad: tastes bland.

Crispy Seaweed Jao Kae Noi review
close up of seaweed

pros:

  • no greasiness
  • cheap
  • tasty
  • healthy to indulge (safe ingredients & good nutrition value)

cons:

  • a bit dry
  • not crispy
  • no saltiness (despite having salt ingredients! rip off! >.<)
  • I did not notice the pepper taste
  • leaves seaweed bits to teeth (beware!)


Verdict:
I think it would take some time to learn to appreciate the dryness and texture of this seaweed snack but I think I am looking to try these again... I love how "nutritious" it is and no guilty feelings to eating these in large amounts! (What a great snack!)

By the way, I was told that their wasabi flavour is good... so I'm definitely going to give these a try

Score: 8/10
Website: no website

5 comments:

  1. Lol it does look kind of like a J instead of a T. XD I have never tried this seaweed snack before but it sounds like a healthy and yummy snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be too plain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a bit... but if you are interested, you can try their wasabi flavour. I hear it is quite tasty :)

      Delete
  3. oh good to know! :D I haven't tried the hot and spicy version, but it sounds good 😋

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin