Thursday, December 18, 2014

Yokozuna Ramen review

The Chinese name is: 橫綱日本拉麵店

For those who are wondering, this place is located near (two shops south) Destiny's at Silver Star... I have not been introduced to this place... I find it quite difficult to find despite being beside Destiny's... so I guess that's why it is not very popular.

I like the atmosphere, it is very casual and quiet... only the sound of the TV can be heard (the TV is always showing a Japanese cook show called "Dotch Cooking"). The benefit of watching the show and eating is that you are having Japanese food while watching a Japanese cooking show.

Service is fair, the waiters and waitresses are ok friendly and food is delivered within reasonable time.

Pork Bone Soup Ramen $10.95

Pork Bone Soup Ramen - $10.95

This Ramen is one of the most expensive Ramen on their menu... being a big fan of pork bone soups I had to give it a try.


Impressions:
  • Oily
  • Very rich
  • Ramen cooked to a perfect texture
  • Reminds me of homemade soup
  • Cha Siu is too lean
  • Red ginger adds a nice tough to the flavour

The soup/broth was very different from other ramen broths... due to the soup bones, the soup was extremely oily and quite thick... it tastes nothing like ramen broth... instead it taste like Asian home made soup... it tasted very porky and boney but definitely not a ramen broth... you will either like it or hate it... if you like soups like me, you will like it (because it is a really good soup)... but if you are looking for ramen soup... I suggest you skip this item.

I didn't like the Cha Siu... it was so lean and not marinated... 

I liked how they added shredded pieces of red ginger to make the flavour palette more flavourful. 



Kyuushu Ramen $6.99

Kyushu Ramen - $6.99

I have never had Kyushu ramen so I can't say whether this is authentic or not... I felt that this broth was quite salty. And similar to the Pork Bone soup Ramen, the broth did not taste like your usual "ramen broth".

Impressions:
  • Salty miso flavour
  • strong miso flavour
  • Marinated salty sweet bamboo shoots
  • Very clear broth
I didn't really like this Ramen because it was slightly salty for my own taste palette. I did enjoy the marinated sweet salty spiced bamboo shoots. Serving size is quite big... I found it difficult to finish this bowl of ramen.

Cheesy Seafood Maki $9.95

Cheesy seafood Maki - $9.95
List of Ingredients:
  • Avocado
  • Cream cheese
  • Deep fried fish strip
  • Masago
  • Cucumber
  • Sesame
  • Grilled cheddar cheese
  • Red pepper powder and dry green onion bits
Due to the cold weather, I have found myself savouring any food that contains cheese... so, while browsing through their menu, this sushi caught my attention. This sushi is slightly on the expensive side compared to other places (approx. $1.XX per piece).

impressions:
  • nice marriage of the ingredients
  • would be better if they didn't use single slice cheddar cheese
  • very filling

I am a huge fan of cheesy foods... I really liked the idea... although... as much as I like Single Slice Cheddar cheese, I would prefer and much appreciate it, if they had chosen a Cheddar Cheese that was less "processed"... I found it a bit difficult to tell that the Cream Cheese was there... the cheddar cheese's taste was too overbearing. Besides the cream cheese, the other ingredients made their presence known and made this sushi extremely flavourful and "fun" to eat, the different textures added an intriguing blend to the experience.

Hours:

Mon:11:30 am - 11:00 pm
Wed - Sun:11:30 am - 11:00 pm
Verdict:
I will definitely be visiting this place again... will probably get the pork bone soup ramen again, but will perhaps skip the other ramen available.

score: 7/10
website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yokozuna-Ramen-%E6%A9%AB%E7%B6%B1%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E6%8B%89%E9%BA%B5%E5%BA%97/269986869697845

1 comment:

LinkWithin