Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Xiao Long Bao (小籠包) Shanghai Dim Sum Restaurant review (part II)

Given my positive review of this place, it was expected I would return... This time I found other gems in this restaurant... Hope you will like this review :)

Xiao Long Bao (小籠包) Shanghai Dim Sum Restaurant review
Shanghai Soup Rice Cakes $10.99
Shanghai Stir fried Rice Cakes have always been one of my favourite Shanghai dish (as you can see in part I of this restaurant review), the chewiness makes eating so much fun. I have never had Shanghai Soup Rice Cakes before so it was definitely a discovery for me

Impressions:
  • quantity is huge!
  • Strong sesame oil taste
  • Very clear broth
  • delicious and fresh (鮮)

I was shocked when the server delivered this to our table... I didn't expect the bowl to be so huge. When I first wafted the smell I could smell a strong aroma of sesame oil. The broth was extremely clear but heavily flavoured with chicken stock and other ingredients.

The soup tasted extremely delicious and 鮮 (I can't find an appropriate English word for this). It was 鮮味 (but NOT MSG).



Xiao Long Bao (小籠包) Shanghai Dim Sum Restaurant review
小籠包 Pork Soup Filled Buns $5.99

What else would you get at a restaurant called Xiao Long Bao (小籠包), their signature dish of course! These Pork Soup Filled buns were absolutely delicious. They were properly marinated and the bun was extremely thin (be careful if you pick these up... your chopsticks could puncture the bun and all of that delicious soup will fall out).

impressions:

  • very thin bun "crust"
  • soup is right temperature
  • nicely oily (comfort food)


Xiao Long Bao (小籠包) Shanghai Dim Sum Restaurant review
inside of the pork soup filled bun
As you can see, look how much meat is inside! It is a perfectly made Xiao Long Bao!
Despite how great this is, my favourite will be their Crab Meat Xiao Long Bao.... if you want something that is striking and not allergic to crabs, I highly recommend their crab pork soup filled buns.

Xiao Long Bao (小籠包) Shanghai Dim Sum Restaurant review
Sheng Jian Bao (上海生煎包) $5.99
If you are going to a Shanghai restaurant, these Sheng Jian Bao are a must get... These are Pan-fried bao filled with pork, melted gelatin and chopped green onions.

Impressions:
Marinated with rice wine
very tasty
cooked to perfection (bottom is nicely golden brown)



Xiao Long Bao (小籠包) Shanghai Dim Sum Restaurant review
inside of 生煎包

This is how the inside of the bao looks like. Be careful, the warm/hot gelatin can burn your mouth, so when you are eating these... be careful. 

score: 9/10
website: no website
phone number: (416) 291-0123



2 comments:

  1. That soup looks soooo yummy, I want some now!!!! I actually don't really like 小籠包 that much, I don't know why. Everyone loves it but I find it to be just OK, lol. Like it's good but I wouldn't keep ordering a huge amount of it. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww you don't?!?!?! :O.... I thought every loves 小籠包... but you can try this place... I love their crab meat 小籠包s! :D

      Delete

LinkWithin