Thursday, July 3, 2014

Oishii Japanese Ramen review

Business Card and Awards card of Oishii Japanese Ramen

It is extremely hard to find ramen places in Scarborough (let alone authentic ones). While I was browsing for ramen places in Scarborough, my friend told me about this place. However, after eating here, I doubt I'll be back...

Impressions
  • Not authentic
  • Ramen was not "ramen"
  • Variety of food
  • Terribly seasoned



Vegetable Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き)


I really liked the Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) sauce (at the top), I really appreciated the amount of 木魚 shedding on top. But, the Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) was overcooked. Nonetheless, this was probably one of the best dishes there. It was only $4.50.

mussels baked with cheese

The mussels were ok, I guess it was fresh, the cheese was nice but the mayonnaise sauce was too salty, my friend and I were slightly shocked by how salty it was... It was $4.50

BBQ pork ramen
There were 3 types of soup to choose from:
  • salt flavour
  • soy flavour
  • miso flavour (which they charge an extra $0.50)
The descriptions weren't exactly.. Ramen .... nor sounded extremely tasty, so we decided to go for their most basic, the "salt" flavour.

I guess I should have been warned about their ramen when I saw Wonton ramen in their menu, this was the most disappointing dish we had. The BBQ pork was thick (we didn't complain about this) but it was too lean making it dry. On top of that it was also very tasteless... It wasn't marinaded properly.

The portion size was large... I couldn't finish it. For a price of $6.99, I consider that a fairly good portion. Unfortunately, the soup was not authentic ramen broth, it didn't not taste anything Japanese. 

There were also very little extras (e.g. Green onion, seaweed) The noodles were some kind of egg noodle, making it not taste like ramen. 

The egg yolk wasn't watery enough (overcooked).

Verdict:
Overall, we were quite unhappy with this place.. the service was so-so... we don't think we will be coming back very soon


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin