I tend to avoid cleansing balms because I hate the oiliness and the hassle of cleaning off all the greasiness afterward. But Dr. Althea seems to have fixed that problem with their Pure Grinding Cleansing Balm.
The balm emulsifies almost immediately upon contact with water, which solves my biggest “ick” with cleansing balms in general. It glides and melts onto the skin, and once water is added, it emulsifies and rinses away without leaving that greasy residue behind.
![]() |
| cleansing balm |
What it is:
According to Dr. Althea, this cleansing balm is formulated with only 14 essential natural ingredients and is designed to provide a gentle cleansing experience, particularly for sensitive skin.
It is enriched with Madecassoside and plant-based oils to cleanse while keeping the skin soft and hydrated.
Benefits:
Powerful yet gentle cleansing
Hydrating and nourishing finish
Hygienic grinding balm design
The product is also designed to remove sunscreen, makeup, and even waterproof products with a small amount.
My experience
Unlike most cleansing balms I've tried, I wouldn't consider this a deep-cleaning cleansing balm. Depending on your needs and expectations, this could either be a positive or a negative.
It does a good enough job, but it definitely isn't as powerful or "deep-cleaning" as I expected. However, if you have sensitive skin and want a mild and gentle cleansing balm that helps calm redness and protect your skin barrier, this could be ideal.
I appreciated that they added Madecassoside and plant-based oils to help keep the skin hydrated, although I found the moisturizing effect to be a bit too light for my liking. I also really appreciate that there is zero fragrance, which makes it even more appealing for people with sensitive skin.
I tried their recommended "half turn" for melting sunscreen and a "full turn" for melting and removing makeup. After some trial and error, I found that the full turn works best for me. The half turn simply isn't enough to cover my whole face, let alone provide enough balm to properly massage the skin and melt away sunscreen, makeup, and everything else sitting on my face.
The grinding design
One of the things I really like about this cleansing balm is the innovative and hygienic grinding design. It prevents the need for repeatedly dipping your fingers into the container, which makes it feel much cleaner and more hygienic than traditional cleansing balms.
However, there is one frustrating problem: there is always some product left behind on the plate. No matter how hard I try to scoop it out with my fingers, it just won't budge! π©
It makes me feel like I'm constantly wasting a little bit of product, which is frustrating when cleansing balms aren't exactly cheap.
The packaging
I'm also not entirely sure why they opted for a solid green container. While it looks nice, it makes it impossible to see how much product is left inside.
By the time I realize I'm running out, it's already too late!
I also struggled with the container at first because I assumed it was a screw-top or twist-style container. It isn't — it's simply a lid that clips into place.
The lid is easy to open and close, but it moves around quite easily and doesn't feel particularly tight. Whether that's a pro or a con probably depends on how much you hate fiddling with lids versus how much a loose lid annoys you. π
Overall thoughts
This is definitely not the cleansing balm I would reach for when I want a deep, heavy-duty cleanse. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
What I like most is how different it feels from traditional cleansing balms. It melts beautifully, emulsifies quickly with water, leaves behind zero greasy residue, and doesn't have any fragrance. For someone like me who normally avoids cleansing balms because of their oily texture, that's a pretty big win.
The formula is gentle and comfortable, and I can see why someone with sensitive skin might really appreciate it. My biggest complaints are that the cleansing power is a little too mild for me, the moisturizing effect isn't as substantial as I expected, and the grinding design still leaves some product behind.
Conclusion
Overall, Dr. Althea's Pure Grinding Cleansing Balm is an interesting take on the traditional cleansing balm. It solves one of my biggest complaints — that greasy, oily feeling — and the hygienic grinding design is genuinely innovative.
I don't think it's the best choice if you're looking for an intense, deep-cleaning balm, but if you want something gentle, fragrance-free, easy to emulsify, and comfortable on sensitive skin, this is worth considering.
For me, it's a good cleansing balm, but not a perfect one. I love what Dr. Althea was trying to accomplish, and I especially appreciate how cleanly it rinses away. I just wish the cleansing power was a little stronger and the packaging was a little more practical.
Score: 7.8/10
Website: https://doctoraltheaglobal.com/products/pure-grinding-cleansing-balm?srsltid=AfmBOoqvTommIBhuBrLvv1rxilb7rJEO4z-lAOXp0XcIjPFG7aH5ZdX2


No comments:
Post a Comment