Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Comparison: Oral B Satin floss vs Glide Advance

 


These two are from the same brand, Oral-B, but are completely different. 

It's funny how everyday topics can become unexpectedly interesting. Today, I find myself discussing something as mundane as dental floss. But something as simple as dental floss can make or break your day. I want to explore the similarities and differences between these two options, Satin and Glide. It's a conundrum many of us face when we stand in front of the dental care aisle, wondering which one to choose from the many options available. 

I leave it up to luck to choose the right one, they look similar and sometimes I choose the wrong floss. It can be incredibly frustrating. It's funny how we tend to hoard things, even dental floss! But after writing out this review, I have clarity and I will toss out the Satin floss. Sometimes, letting go of what isn't working and sticking with what does is the best approach. So, it is time to bid farewell to the Satin floss and avoid those pesky bad flossing experiences in the future.


My Experiences:


Pricing:
The Satin floss is priced at $5.50 for 50 meters, whereas The Glide floss is available at $6.29 for 40 meters. While Glide may come at a slightly higher cost, it's a case where you genuinely get what you pay for, and it's well worth splurging that extra 70 cents for a superior product that provides less floss.

similarities:
both are minty but the Glide is more minitier than the Satin. (that's all the similarities I can find)

the floss on the left is Satin, the one on the right is Glide

From the picture, you can already see that the Glide is much more solid and tougher than the Satin. The Satin is too thin and flat. 

Satin

Pro-ish:

  • While it does an excellent job of thoroughly cleaning and dislodging hard-to-reach particles stuck between your gums and teeth gap, there's a notable downside. Every single time I use it, it seems to dig quite deep into my gums, leading to bleeding gums without fail. The cuts it creates in my gums can be rather painful and linger for a few days afterward. 
  • It is disappointing... even when I try to floss as gently as I can.

Cons:

  • It is plasticky, feels like a folded-up/rolled-up plastic bag, causes a weird friction between the floss and my teeth and forces me to floss harder.
  • It is flat, so the sides feel sharp. On the note of being flat, the floss always ends up folding up (horizontally) making it weaker and narrower.
  • The material used easily breaks, sometimes, it breaks in between my teeth, creating more things for me to floss out. >___<
  • The floss is too flat so you need to use it a few times to get everything out.
  • Barely minty

Glide

Pros:

  • It does a perfect job flossing, I do enjoy using it as it fits nicely in between the teeth and does not hurt your gums.
  • Does not hurt gums, it, like the name, glides smoothly and gently removes.
  • it is solid and waxy and doesn't easily give way or break.
  • the shape remains consistent/constant and the area never gives in and properly gets rid of the particles.
  • very minty

Cons:

  • Can be a little thinner than I would like it to be. Sometimes, it does not have enough strength to remove everything in one floss.
  • It can be a bit waxy and leave your fingers with some wax substance.

Verdict:


I have tried to discuss my experiences in as much detail as possible and the clear winner is Glide Advance. Although it is slightly more expensive than the Satin floss, the pros outweigh the cons. 

If you want a good flossing experience, the Glide Advance is the much. better choice :).


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin