Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Comparison: Japanese Instant Noodles vs International Instant Noodles Ramen

 

International version

The title of this post might be strange. This is what I meant: the comparison between the Japanese version of the same brand (e.g. Nissan) Noodles and the international version of the same instant noodles.

Japanese version

If you ever wondered whether they might be different, you are correct. They are quite different. In fact, if you blindfolded me and asked me to do a taste test, I would not be able to tell that both are from the same brand. 

International version 

ready to serve International version


I've always thought that the Nissan Instant noodles we know of were the standard until I moved to Tokyo and realized they are very different. There was a day I was craving that oiliness of Nissan noodles, however, when I went to the store and bought a packet that "looked" similar enough to be the Nissan Ramen I am familiar with, but to my surprise (and disappointment)... it wasn't. 

Japanese version: uncooked

Japanese version: ready to serve



Here are some differences I noticed. 

Differences between Nissan noodles:



Japanese version International version
Noodle type baked, not fried, contains bits of dried ginger and other condiments fried, a bit of an oiliness, plain
Noodle texture thin, firm and has a heavier chewiness, thick, slightly porous and has a light chewiness, also a bit oily
Taste (broth) saltier, richer flavour and healthier tasting (similar to egg noodles), heavy on ginger taste (with noticeable ginger bits) lighter brother, everything is "well balanced" and gives you a comfort food taste. Heavier on sesame
Noodle prep time 1.5 minutes (in boiling water) 3 minutes (in boiling water)
Calories 306 calories 450 calories

It has hard to choose which one I prefer because both are good and different (in a good way). The International version is more of a comfort food, while the Japanese version seems healthier and more preferred if I want a ramen meal (for dinner). 

Which do you prefer?

For those interested, here are more photos and info about each version of ramen. While reviewing the images, I realized the instructions have changed since I reviewed these noodles (on their old packaging)... so please ignore the differences in directions (between the review and the images... I'll make amendments in a bit.)

Nissin International Version:


highlights: 
made in Hong Kong



Made in Japan



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin