Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Haagen-Dazs Specialite 抹茶のオペラ review

Haagen-Dazs Specialite 抹茶のオペラ review
Haagen-Dazs Specialite Matcha Opera

As Christmas approaches, there is bound to be some seasonal limited food items available. And of all products available, Haagen-Daz's was the one that caught my eye!

After dinner, I found this Haagen-Dazs Specialite 抹茶のオペラ (Matcha Opera) at my local convenient store. My friend told me that this is heavily advertised around Tokyo: trains, subways or even random posters. After indulging in this, I started seeing this everywhere, too.

Haagen-Dazs Specialite 抹茶のオペラ review
layers

This ice cream consists of 4 layers:

  • gold and chocolate
  • matcha ice cream
  • almond sauce and cookies
  • blond chocolate ice cream

impressions:

  • slightly pricy (¥450)
  • the chocolate layer was very richly chocolate
  • there was gold dust to justify the price (?)
  • the vanilla ice cream cookie crumble layer was really delicious!
  • each layer was very well defined bringing out their characteristic
  • the layers tasted good together and apart



Haagen-Dazs Specialite 抹茶のオペラ review
Haagen-Dazs Matcha Opera


was it worth it?

despite the pricey price tag, I would say yes, it was worth it. This was probably one of the best desserts I have had this year! It was extremely well made, like a very expensive ice cream cake in a small container (the kind of cake you would find in patisseries which cost ¥500+). The combination of flavours was impeccable. While the chocolate and matcha layer were on the bitter side, the almond sauce and blond chocolate layer were sweet, creating a perfect balance between the layers and producing a delicious result.


score: 9.5/10

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I really want to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tired.. it was not that good for me. I like Japonais. : )

      Delete
    2. @Vivian: Ahhh, I think they had something similar 2 years ago with the mochi as well, right? I like everything except kinako powder though.

      Delete
    3. @Nat: right. The mochi also i liked it. This one did not have kinako powder, it has kinako syrup : )

      Delete
  2. @Nat: right. The mochi also i liked it. This one did not have kinako powder, it has kinako syrup : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin